GRATINATED AUBERGINESwith mozzarella, chili and capsicum
- 5 aubergines, halved lengthwise
- 150 ml olive oil
- Olive oil for frying
- 5 medium red onions, finely diced
- 5 yellow capsicums, finely diced
- 10 whole sprigs of lemon thyme
- 1 radicchio lettuce, finely shredded
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbls dried chili flakes
- 500 g Emborg mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 10 tabs apple cider vinegar
- Fresh sprigs of lemon thyme to serve
Turn the oven to 180 degrees.
Brush the aubergine halves with the 150 ml of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake the aubergines on a baking tray until golden for 20-25 min.
Heat a little olive oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onions,capsicum and thyme until just tender without taking colour. Add the shredded radicchio, garlic and chili, and sauté for a further 3-4 min. Remove the thyme. Add the vegetables to a large bowl and let cool slightly. Gently mix in the mozzarella cheese and cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Divide the cheese topping onto the aubergines and grill then do 2-3 min. Under a very hot salamander just before serving. Decorate the aubergines with fragrant sprigs of fresh lemon thyme.